Thursday, January 6, 2011

Damn it's cold

So, our thermostat quit.  Or so we thought.  Hub tried to replace it yesterday and it appears that was/is not the problem.  It is cold in these drafty old poorly insulated houses even with the heat working.  Thank goodness we have not had hard freeze temps this week.... however, it is still colder IN the house than out.

Poor ole Harley.  He is such a trooper.  He slept donning his cute little Target winter hat which is soft as a bunny rabbit and has fabulous ear flaps that velcro together.  I slept with him and we had a small space heater to help and we were quite warm and snuggly.  Very hard getting out of the covers this morning though. UGH!  I'm too old for this shit!

In other news, I'm still looking for work and we are trying not to be anxious about our teetery finances.  Happy New Year to us!  I am trying to focus on things I am grateful for so I don't get sucked into the abyss of "Everything sucks, and then you die".  So here's my list:

I am grateful for these things:
My family and friends are relatively happy and healthy
I actually have a family and friends!
We have a roof overhead... and even with all the rain in the last few days, has not leaked... yet.  (We do have a nasty little leak in the hall).
The milder temps this week.
We have a space heater.
Ever is home and safe with her family.
The electricity is still working.
The cars are both still working.
I may actually find a job (AKA there are actual jobs out there requiring skills I loosely posses.)
No new negative action being reported in the middle east... that I know of.
We do have food and our sense of humor.
Harley and our kitty seems to be happy and unaffected by recent events.
Tomorrow is a new day.
Anything can happen!
I have a shiny new Xanax script.


Stay warm ya'll, and send those warm thoughts our way.
Peace, pf

5 comments:

Steph(anie) said...

It's a good list :)

JoJo said...

Great list but I would've put Xanax at the top. lol

And you don't know cold till you've been out on your icy, treacherous driveway in the pitch dark at 6 am sprinkling cat litter under your tires so that you can get to work. I'd backed out of my garage and when I put the car in drive, the wheels just spun. Now it's mild and raining.

Rebecca said...

We recently moved from a house that was built 55 years ago and had NO insulation in the walls. That place was freezing......To a newer place with great insulation. Glad we are keeping warm............Hope you guys get out of your cold spell soon!

white rabbit said...

It's true about old and poorly insulated places. The place I was living in while in Birmingham was built in 2005 and the insulation was amazing. Even when the thermometer went through the floor I hardly neede to turn the heating on! But that was then...

Maggie May said...

we are using our space heaters too :)
stay warm with your snugglie babe!