Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The 7th Sense


Harley's new favorite show is something called Wild Kratts.  It's a mixture of cartoon characters and stories about animals, then real people and real animals are shown.  I'm not in love with the animation, but he seems to like it alright.

Today's show was about the Duckbill Platypus.  A fascinating creature. We found out that the DP has a 6th sense!  One that we don't have.  It has something to do with sensing the electrical output of what's around it through spots located on it's bill.  Harley calls this the "transporter sense".

It is part of Harley's nightly ritual to ask me if I know something as part of his settling down before bedtime thing.  He'll be real quiet for a few minutes sometimes, and I'll think I'm almost home free... then he'll pipe up with, "Mom, did you know...."?  (Some tidbid that he passes off as factual on whatever topic or  notion happens to be running through his mind at the time).  I mostly find this amusing and fascinating (on nights when I'm not grouchy or tired myself)  Tonight's topic was senses.  My new and improved understanding is that there are 10.  I was only told about 7, 8 and 10 though.  He's leaving me in suspense about #9... I asked if I could post about it.  He said "sure".  Then I had the idea to have him help me write it, so that is what we are going to do tomorrow after school.

He's pretty excited about it.  And honestly, I think the things that he says are much more intriguing and cosmic than anything I have to say... it could be because I'm his mommy and we are supposed to feel that way.
But I don't think so.

We'll be back tomorrow to elaborate further on the 10 senses and what they mean to you!
xo

5 comments:

JoJo said...

Man alive that kid is brilliant and imaginative! He must keep you on your toes! I can't wait to read your collaborative post about the senses. Maybe #9 has something to do with John Lennon. lol

Ms. Moon said...

What are #'s 7,8, and 10? I don't know anything!

Petit fleur said...

Hey Jojo, Yes, toes hurt.

You know I do believe #9 DOES have to do with Lennon! Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to get to it today. The good news is we have AAAAALLLLLLLLLL day tomorrow.

xo

Petit fleur said...

Ms Moon,

I'm sorry, but you will have to tune in tomorrow to find out! I will give you one hint though. Sense #10 is only possessed by planets.

xo

* said...

Wild Kratts? Never heard of it, sounds cool!

PS: Looking forward to further enlightenment on the 10 senses, too. :)