Thursday, October 15, 2009

A New Path

So, Petit Fleur is starting some training next week to move her career in a new direction. Or really just in ANY direction. There is a long, boring and likely typical story attached to why I chose to major in marketing rather than something like anthropology, religion or psychology, but it's hardly worth sharing.

Most of my "career moves" have been to take whatever job I could get in the field of marketing, sales or admin. I don't particularly like any of them, but have been known to expand whatever position I find myself in just out of sheer will, and well, trying to break through the glass ceiling.... you know, proving myself to get more money. (It really only worked once, but it wasn't enough to keep me there.) I've spent a lot of time spinning my wheels about what I want/need to be doing career wise. I think I wrote the book on feeling stuck... When I was a youngun', my original plan was to become a brilliant psychologist... but now when I think of returning to that plan, I realize it's no longer what I want. It's what I wanted 20 years ago. However, I am still a "therapy" type person. Meaning that anything to do with personal growth and healing is of interest to me.

Considering that the 'therapy oriented' side of my personality is very strong, I figured on the healing path as the one I would choose... but what? Well, I will tell you. Through a strange series of coincidences, I found out about a growing profession called Coaching. It sounds pretty cheesy and there is sort of a scammy aspect to the industry, BUT... all in all, I believe it is a needed service for many people and it beats the hell out of therapy for those that choose it. It is for people who are stuck and want to make a change, but need extra support to do it. People who need accountability, similar to any support group like weight watchers, or AA, only this is an individualized approach which is goal oriented. I like to call it professional nagging! If you think about it, mostly women are in this field, so it makes perfect sense. Just ask any married man and he will tell you. Since I come from a long line of the most excellent, cunning and persistent of naggers, I feel like I have a pretty good shot at making this work.

I have been coached for my ADHD in the past, and it has worked well for me. I also believe that the habits I develop as a result of professionally nagging others will rub off on me... I mean, it pretty much has to, right? Then I will conquer the world!! mooooaaaah!

Seriously, this seems like the perfect fit for me, and I am totally excited about it... however, I am really nervous about spending the money on training. I believe I found a really reasonable and reputable group to train with, but it is still pretty expensive for our broke asses. This is one of the riskiest endeavors, money wise, that I have engaged in for quite some time. So, when you are sending up your wishes, to whomever you address your wishes too, would you please whisper a small wish that this is what finally WORKS for me/us.

I have one Guinea pig client already. This is our first week of working together, and I think it's gone pretty well so far. He's great and very motivated for the shift, so we have not run into any roadblocks just yet. And if anyone of you would like to sign on to be a Guinea pig for me, I am willing to coach you for free as long as my sanity holds up.

Here's to change!

2 comments:

Sarcastic Bastard said...

I will send lots of good thoughts your way, dear Petit Fleur. How exciting! A career change. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Have a great weekend. Love you.

SB

Petit fleur said...

Thanks SB!!!!!!! I can't believe I didn't answer you sooner. I must have had a black out...

Yea, I still don't know either, but this is as close as I've come to knowing. I think it's going to be very engaging and fun. Hope you stumble upon what you want to do very soon.

Thanks for stopping.
xo pf